Fetal Monitoring and Fetal Distress

Troy, Saratoga, Albany, and Schenectady Fetal Monitoring Error Attorneys

Modern medical science has developed advanced electronic fetal monitoring techniques in order to detect any signs of trouble that may affect a fetus before or during delivery. These devices, however, are only as effective as the medical professionals who use them.

If your child has been injured during childbirth, you should consider the possibility that inadequate fetal monitoring played a role. At the Law Offices of Sanford Rosenblum, P.C., our experienced Albany fetal distress lawyers help parents pursue medical malpractice claims.

Did Your Doctor Detect and Respond to Signs of Fetal Distress?

Fetal distress is a general term for any situation where a baby may not be getting enough oxygen. There are clear medical standards for how obstetricians and nurses are supposed to respond to signs of fetal distress.

Unfortunately, many doctors and nurses fail to adequately interpret the results of electronic fetal monitoring and thereby miss opportunities to respond to fetal distress.

Oxygen deprivation and other types of fetal distress before and during childbirth can result in serious conditions such as cerebral palsy, which can have extensive long-term consequences.

Traditionally, at any sign of fetal distress, doctors were expected to deliver the baby by cesarean section as soon as possible. Current medical standards require a more nuanced approach, but prompt delivery may still be necessary in many circumstances.

Carefully Evaluating the Facts of Your Case

Whether a birth injury is the result of medical malpractice is a complex question. Our experienced attorneys work with top-notch expert professionals to document the causes and the consequences of our clients’ injuries so we can seek maximum compensation.

If your child has been injured as a result of fetal distress, don’t hesitate to contact us to schedule a free consultation. You will not pay any fees or expenses unless our attorneys help you obtain compensation for your child.